The success of Cliff Davis’s successful Tojeiro sports-racer prompted AC Cars to put the design into production in 1954 as the Ace. The Davis car’s pretty Ferrari 166-inspired Barchetta bodywork was retained, as was John Tojeiro’s twin-tube ladder-frame chassis and Cooper-influenced all-independent suspension, but the power unit was AC’s own venerable two-liter long-stroke six.
This overhead-camshaft engine originated in 1919 and, with a modest 80 bhp (later 100 bhp) on tap, endowed the Ace with respectable, if not outstanding, performance. Read More
The “Missing Squire,” S/N X-103, was the second of seven cars built by the fledgling Squire Car Manufacturing Company in 1935 and was purchased by one of the company founders, G.F.A. “Jock” Manby-Colegrave. While the other six of the original Squires were known, the whereabouts of X-103 haven’t been so certain for the last 25 years.
It carries what many consider to be the most attractive coachwork of the three Vanden Plas-bodied cars.
X-103 passed through a number of hands Read More
It didn’t matter that it boasted 542 hp or had a top speed of 217 mph. For $625,000, many buyers felt doubled-crossed
This magnificent-looking and supremely well-specified Jaguar XJ 220 coupe is offered here in pristine condition and at a level offering a considerable savings over the list price at launch. The words “supercar” and “sensational” are often to be found in conjunction, and no more justifiably so than in Read More
A successful outing for three EX182 pre-production prototypes at the Le Mans 24 Hours race in 1955 provided perfect pre-launch publicity for MG’s new sports car. Conceived as a replacement for the traditional T-Series MGs and launched in 1955, the MGA combined a rigid chassis with the Austin-designed, 1489-cc engine that had first appeared in the ZA Magnette.
With over 100,000 produced, the MGA was perhaps the most popular sports car of its time. Its curving lines, with long Read More
H.F.S. Morgan’s first four-wheeled Morgan, the Standard 10-engined 4/4, appeared in 1936 and formed the mainstay of production until 1950, when it was superseded by the larger and more powerful Standard-Vanguard-engined Plus Four. We are advised that the Morgan Motor Company has confirmed that this example left the factory in December 1954 and retains it original chassis/engine numbers.
Originally sold to a Dr. Allen of Stourbridge and registered “WAE 784,” the car returned to the factory after five years Read More
The Aston Martin DB4 was introduced at the 1958 London Motor Show to great acclaim. Its beautiful yet understated coachwork was by the famed styling house Touring of Milan. Touring utilized the Superleggera process in which aluminum panels were attached to a steel tube frame, the overall effect being that the body was light, yet rigid. The newly designed Tadek Marek DOHC 3.7-liter engine produced an impressive 240 bhp, which propelled the Aston from 0 to 60 in under Read More
If hot rods had been invented in England, Sidney Herbert Allard would have been their originator. In 1936 he built a successful trials machine from Ford and Bugatti parts. His 1949 National British Hill Climb Championship came in a loud and fearsome special with four rear wheels powered by a war-surplus V8 Steyr tank engine.
The first postwar production models of the Allard Motor Company, founded in 1946, featured American Ford flathead V8s, more often than not fitted with Zora Read More
There is no mistaking the lines of an Austin-Healey. Perhaps second only to the seductive curves of the Jaguar E-type, the long flowing lines of the front shroud and powerful haunches of the short rear fenders make this car an icon of the golden decades of sports cars. Remarkable is the fact that the lines of the Healey were penned by a 24-year-old designer named Gerry Coker, who had never designed a car before in his career. More remarkable Read More
This “barn discovery” Lotus Elite was first registered on December 14, 1961, according to the duplicate green logbook in its history file. It was owned by Mr. Peter John Gillett of Cobham in 1971 before it was sold to the last owner, Mr. Che Keng Saw, in August 1972. The Lotus was extricated from a garden in Essex by the executors of his estate and delivered for sale.
According to the Elite Club records, it would seem to Read More
The first Abbott two-door coupe to grace the R-type chassis made its debut at the 1952 Earls Court Motor Show, alongside an equivalent drophead design. The chassis on which these and the fourteen subsequent cars built differed from standard, having a lowered radiator and steering column rake, and carrying a 3.41 rear axle ratio. The Abbott coachwork, of similar design to that of the Mulliner-built Continentals, was penned by Peter Woodgate. It was not until May 1953 that a Read More