Porfirio Rubirosa was an accomplished competition driver, finishing second at Sebring with the Lancia factory team in 1954 and first in class (500 Mondial Spyder) in the Governor’s Cup race in Nassau in 1955. He also scored a class win at Sebring in 1956 with Jim Pauley in his 500 Mondial.
The quintessential playboy as well, Rubi dallied exuberantly and publicly with a number of high-profile women, including Zsa Zsa Gabor, Ava Gardner, Kim Novak and Eva Peron. Read More
Left-hand drive chassis number 06470 was delivered new to main agents Tayre Ferrari in Madrid in October 1974 and sold to an American citizen, William Kemmerer, its first owner. The latter was then serving with the USAF and brought the Dino back to the US from Spain when his tour of duty was completed. Ferrari Market Letter records that the car was serviced by Algar Ferrari in Philadelphia in the late 1970s and early 1980s.
The Motorcar Gallery of Fort Read More
The Ferrari Mondial Cabriolet occupied a unique niche in the luxuxy car market: a four-seat mid-engine Cabriolet with pedigree. The improved Mondial T received a 296-hp, 3405 cc V8 engine mounted longitudinally in the frame. Along with a new engine came a completely new five-speed transmission, electronically controlled variable suspension, and a three-position manual suspension selector. Top speed was 158 mph and the 0 to 100 km/h sprint could be covered in 6.3 seconds.
The French-registered Mondial Read More
Unveiled at the Geneva Salon in March 1966, the 330 GTC (Gran Tourismo Coupe) allied the 275 GTB chassis with the basic engine from the 330 GT 2+2. Coachwork was a compromise of the 400 Superamerica front blended to the rear tail treatment of the 275 GTS. The new car was a capable performer—fast, quiet, and comfortable.
As it inherited the GTB chassis and its rear transaxle, the 330 GT 2+2 engine block had to be redesigned in Read More
Bodied by Pininfarina in classic Berlinetta style with oval egg-crate grille, brake cooling scoops over the rear wheel arches, hood tie-downs and sliding lightweight plexiglass windows, the powerful, compact and lightweight 250 MMs were ideal competitors for both long-distance races and shorter hillclimb events. In typical Ferrari fashion, the engines had been tuned to give twenty-five or so more horsepower than the MM’s predecessor, the 250S. They now produced a reliable 240 horsepower at
The P3 was a logical and comprehensive evolution of the 1965 model P2, still a tubular frame but now, in P3 form, riveted-on alloy panels and the fiberglass undertray were both bonded to the chassis to increase torsional rigidity. An all-new, four-cam V-12 engine was developed for the P3, now fitted with Lucas mechanical fuel injection. This would be the first time that Weber carburetors were not fitted to a works Ferrari sports racing car.
Twin ignition Read More
ntroduced at the 1964 Brussels Motor Show as a successor to the 330 America, the 4-liter, 300-hp, Mark 1 330 GT 2+2 with 4-speed synchromesh gearbox had well-spaced ratios and a single dry-plate clutch in unit with the engine, with a Laycock electrically operated overdrive fitted behind the gearbox. The rear axle had an 8/34 ratio, good for 152 mph at 6,400 rpm. With disc brakes all round, 100 mph to 0 braking was possible in just 375 feet. Read More
When the Lamborghini Miura appeared, high-performance coupes with engines in front of the driver began to look quite old fashioned to some observers. Stung by outspoken criticism of their front-engined Daytona models, Ferrari unveiled at the 1971 Turin Motor Show the aggressive 365 BB flat-twelve, mid-engined Boxer Berlinetta. At this point it was still a concept car used to make a point, demonstrating what could be done with a flat-twelve powerplant similar to that used in the Scuderia’s Formula One Read More
This Ferrari is one of the diminishing number of highly original, and in many respects “unspoiled” historic cars. As such cars become increasingly rare, that very fact can surely only enhance their value. 0507, still with its original engine, and having been the last thirty-two years in a Dutch museum, is one of the most attractive 250 GT “Tour de France” Ferraris to appear on the auction arena.
Ferrari’s family of highly successful V8-engined road cars began with the 308 GT4 of 1973. Badged until 1977 as a Dino, thereafter as a Ferrari, the 308 replaced the preceding Dino 246. The Maranello factory’s first mid-engined 2+2, the 308 GT4 was the work of Bertone rather than the customary Pininfarina. By placing the front seats well forward, Bertone made room within the 100″ wheelbase for two children or one sideways-seated adult in the rear, while the compact engine/transaxle Read More