- One of just seven DB2/4 Bertone-bodied chassis — and the only coupe
- Bodied by Bertone for S.H. “Wacky” Arnolt
- Displayed by Bertone at the 1957 Torino Auto Show
- One-off 2-seat coupe coachwork; features quality older restoration
- Engine number corresponds to accompanying BMIHT Certificate
American industrialist and British car distributor Stanley H. “Wacky” Arnolt was a self-made millionaire, having parlayed patents he purchased in the 1930s into a manufacturing business for his Indiana-based factory during World War II.
This Read More
Having made his fortune during World War II, Chicago-based industrialist Stanley Harold “Wacky” Arnolt II was able to indulge his lifelong love of automobiles, and by 1952 was a regional BMC distributor and U.S. distributor for Bristol cars. In 1952, a visit to Carrozzeria Bertone led to Arnolt buying a stake in the Italian company and arranging manufacture of Bertone-bodied Arnolt MGs.
Bertone’s elegant coupe and cabriolet on the MG TD chassis had been first exhibited at the 1951 Geneva Read More
Our Rapide is particularly well preserved. Its clear history, as well as its low mileage, explain its excellent state of conservation. This car was bought new by its current owner in August 2010 at Aston Martin Paris.
The odometer reading is just 7,780 km. The equipment list is most comprehensive, and the interior comfort sometimes makes you forget the magnificent sound of the 6-liter V12, mated to an automatic gearbox. In superb condition, this exceptional car, with its impressive sound, Read More
Manufactured by Robert Bamford and Lionel Martin, the first Aston-Martins (the hyphen is correct for the period) rapidly established a reputation for high performance and sporting prowess in the years immediately following The Great War.
Unfortunately, the management’s concentration on motor sport, while accruing invaluable publicity, distracted it from the business of manufacturing cars for sale, the result being just 50 or so sold by 1925 when the company underwent the first of what would be many changes of ownership.
First registered in November 1958, chassis no. AN57565 was prepared by Donald Healey and his team for the 1959 Monte Carlo, Sestriere and Alpine rallies. It would go on to be the only Works Rally Austin Healey Frogeye Sprite produced. Its early history was detailed in John Sprinzel and Tom Coulthard’s book Spritely Years.
The authors summarized this Sprite’s history: “Cherry red from the production line and painted Colorado Red before the car got to the Works department. Car prepared Read More
Quite a few Land Rovers crossed the block at Bonhams’ July 13 Goodwood Festival of Speed auction, but three Landies in particular give us an interesting glimpse at the current market.
All three of the recent Land Rovers sold way over their estimates, while the 1963 80-inch Series I was bang on the money. What is it about Landies these days?
Inspired by the U.S. Army’s wartime Jeep, developed in haste and intended for short-term, small-scale production, the Land Rover Read More
Chassis S814286 was built on May 25, 1955, as a left-hand-drive XK 140 SE coupe. The Jaguar was delivered new in France via the French distributor, Charles Delecroix, to its first owner, Mme. Jeanne Gaymard in Paris.
It is the 286th left-hand-drive coupé built, with body number J4457. The original colour scheme was cream with two-tone blue interior.
In 1957 the car had an accident. As the original body was beyond repair, the XK came under the eye of the Read More
This magnificent 8 Litre is one of only 100 such cars produced by W.O. Bentley, of which only some 80 or so survive.
Originally bodied as a limousine by Thrupp & Maberly, it was sent directly to Singapore, where its Chinese owner used the Bentley for sporting adventures with his lady friends. The Bentley was known as “the Harem Saloon.”
Returning to the U.K. in the early 1950s, it was owned by a Mr. Peter Quinn, who removed the original Read More
Searching for new engines in the 1960s, Morgan concluded a deal with Rover for supply of its all-aluminum 3.5-liter V8, thus creating a car — the Plus 8 — that combined vintage charm with Cobra-like grunt.
Morgan’s Plus 4 chassis, strengthened and extended, formed the basis of the new car, while the existing Moss 4-speed gearbox was retained. After a successful debut at the 1968 London Motor Show, production commenced at about 15 cars per month and continues to this Read More