1963 Pontiac Catalina, lot S111, at Mecum
MARENGO, Ill. – Mecum Auction President Dana Mecum will offer his ultra rare collection of ’60s-era Pontiacs during the 23rd Dana Mecum Original Spring Classic Auction, May 19-23, 2010, in Indianapolis, Ind.
“As a passionate collector, I’m constantly fine-tuning what vehicles I seek out to purchase, as many of the Mecum customers can appreciate,” said Dana Mecum. “I started in the automotive business selling new Pontiacs with my dad, so the brand has always been special to me. This particular collection features a variety of Pontiacs that are rare in both their style and significance, and I look forward to watching our enthusiastic crowd bid on these cars in Indianapolis.”
The Pontiac Collection will be sold individually during the Mecum Spring Classic Auction, which will be broadcast live on national TV during “Mecum Auto Auction: Muscle Cars & More” on HD Theater – Discovery Communications’ first 24-hour high-definition cable network.
* Lot S111 – 1963 Pontiac Catalina 421 Super Duty Swiss Cheese. This car was the first of 14 Swiss Cheese Super Duty Pontiacs produced and is from the Randy Williams Collection.
* Lot S112 – 1963 Pontiac Tempest Station Wagon, which is the only model left of the six Super Duty Wagons that were built. This car is also from the Randy Williams Collection.
* Lot S113 – 1963 Pontiac Tempest Coupe 421 Super Duty. One of only six Super Duty Coupes built and the only complete example still in existence today.
* Lot S114 – 1965 Pontiac GTO known as “The GeeTO Tiger.” The holy grail of GTOs, this car was given away as a contest grand prize during the ’65 NHRA Indy Nationals. It features gold Hurst wheels and a gold Hurst shifter.
* Lot S115 – 1965 Pontiac GTO HurstRiverside 500 Pace Car, which was originally purchased by Motor Trend and George Hurst of Hurst Performance Products. It is the only surviving pace car from the Riverside 500.
Mecum’s Pontiac Collection joins 1,750 remarkable vehicles that will go up for bid at the Original Spring Classic Auction. The event is open to the general public and tickets are available at the door for $10.
The Mecum Auction Company has been specializing in the sale of collector cars for 23 years, offering an industry-leading 5,000 collector cars per year. Consignment, bidder, event and accommodation information is available online at www.Mecum.com or by calling 815.568.8888.
Original Spring Classic Auction
IndianaState Fairgrounds, Indianapolis, Ind.
May 19-23, 2010
Vehicle check-in: Monday & Tuesday 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.; Wednesday 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Preview: Gates open Wednesday through Sunday at 9 a.m.
Vehicle Auction: Wednesday – 2 p.m.; Thursday through Sunday – 10 a.m.